Saturday, May 14, 2011

Itch of the age

Amid competition and soaring expectations, are men game for anything to earn a competitive edge – even conceal their age?

Guys, thanks for wishing me belated 'happy birthday' and I am actually enjoying my 30th summer. Thanks again for your cheers, but hey! Why are those eyebrows up learning my age? May be I look younger than my age, or somewhat older. But does it really matters?
“Yes, it matters,” said my best friend taking me aside. In no time, I am enlightened that the inclination of hiding one’s age is also making its way into the minds of menfolk. It started centuries back with women’s obsession to appear young – mentally and physically, and continued to be an enigma among the men. But gone are the days when men are considered embodiments of power and pride. Competitions are at all levels, and somewhere, the feeling of insecurity is creeping. Whatever it takes to stand out of the crowd, men are all for it.
Whatever it takes – fairness, fashion, discourse and body language, men needs everything to earn that competitive edge. And concealing age is getting just a part of the process. I remember, I have closely seen one of my cousine's concern for his greying hairs when he was a government servant. I never dared to question him, but today I understand that to keep pace with time one have be as he is expected, even at the cost of putting on a permanent mask. Think of the private sector where colour and glamour is often indispensable!
Beyond the competitive arena, comes expectation of spouses and peer groups. If wives who are Shahrukh/ John Abraham fans and expect husbands to flaunt six pack abs, poor husbands have little options to defend themselves. Infact, men and women are extremely self conscious now for which they can go to any length. Time waits for none, but we can’t afford to lose the prime of our youth, if not really, why not show off that time is counting back with us?
And it has to do with our inclinations and fascinations as well. In a world that’s ruled by the media we find solace in pretending to be young and energetic trying to resemble the celebrities we adore. We don’t mind to go against the nature and hide our age because we are scared of people’s losing interest in us with rising age – a creeping social stigma.  And so, from my 30th summer onwards, I vow to keep my age a secret. Like several men around me, who had started following the women’s obsession, I will now be one of them.  


No comments:

Post a Comment